Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

Pumpkinbobparkin

Post by Pumpkinbobparkin »

[quote="obsidio"]Lows :The Aphex Twin autopsy visuals
Yeh was that an autopsy, i thought it was some grim shit
sulphur

Post by sulphur »

Highs

Finding out our friends who booked a seperate chalet at a completely different time were our neighbours! A wonderfully delightful and handy coincidence!

FSOL - Best set of them all in my opinion! I was fully aware it was going to be a 'visual' show before I turned up, but I can understand why people would have been dissapointed. However, it was all about the music and the experience...a set you could close your eyes and lose yourself too, and dance your nut off to at the same time. The whole ISDN thing was done for effect as a homage to their ISDN album, when they were one of the first artists to do a first live online set a good ooooh, 12 years or so ago? I suspect even the pops and audio delays were done on purpose, wouldn't surprise me :D

Doing a massive dancing binge from early saturday to sunday morning, a near 24 hours of non-stop leg muscle pounding! Along the way meeting hot laydeez at Clark and getting sposhed at Aphex.

Hudson Mohawke - dropped some Flying Lotus and his own goods sounded pretty fly too.

Not watching anywhere near as much BLOC TV this year, which is good because it meant we spent this year partying much more! There was just so much more to do and the venue absolutely rocked! To think we thought the venue was top lost year :o Go Minehead!

The weather - lovely! Being able to sit on the grass outside our chalet, blazing some hot beats whilst other nearby residents came and did the same...clearly allured by our musique!

Ulrich Schnauss, Pole, Green Velvet, Q-Bert etc. etc. etc. were all wicked!

Lows

Having to go home, still suffering from post-BLOC depression!

Aphex - for being good but not amazing, he's played better sets.

Oh and another thing, the one thing I missed about BLOC this year was that there weren't any chillout sets on the sunday. Last year the likes of Ochre, Digitonal and Christ. were the perfect head soother for the night ahead. This year all the music seemed relatively heavy, I suspect this is what the masses would prefer though?

That's about it, by far the best festival money can buy and here's to next year, only 359 days to go!
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

awesome weekend!! was worried it might be too big but it was smooth as hell! highlights were AFX and Hecker, Richard Devine, ulrich schnauss (blew me away, totally unexpected highlight) dynamix II (although where was the other guy? dynamx I more like) Qbert, Egyption Lover.

Lows: getting too trashed again and missing loads of stuff

well done BLOC!! you did an awesome job yet again :)
edd

Post by edd »

First bloc i've been to and i loved it!

highs:

CLARK, TIPPER, aphex, pole, plastician, skream an benga, AGT RAVE CRU, exile, bass clef, zion train, altern8, richard devine, fsol, robyn chaos and dylan.. so many lol

the pool, that was so cool, havin some beers and some spliffs an chilling in the rapids is the way to get you ready for another night of partying.

that digital graffiti wall was well cool, nice thing to do for a few minutes, the guy that owned it was sound aswell!

the random things going on everywere

the chalet, i hate getting woken up at like 10 in the monring sweating my tits off!

the people!

bloctv was nice to spin out to before going to sleep

the trolleys

Lows:

i swear not enough people were getting into the music.. like not dancing at all. especialy when people would push in front of you and just stand still drinking their beer and getting assy if you knocked them a bit..

too much dubstep on friday

too many clashes but i guess with such an awesome line up its hard to avoid

the fact that security were going round looking into chalets..

overall though..

BRING ON BLOC 010!
Kinder

Post by Kinder »

edd wrote:First bloc i've been to and i loved it!

highs:

CLARK, TIPPER, aphex, pole, plastician, skream an benga, AGT RAVE CRU, exile, bass clef, zion train, altern8, richard devine, fsol, robyn chaos and dylan.. so many lol

the pool, that was so cool, havin some beers and some spliffs an chilling in the rapids is the way to get you ready for another night of partying.

that digital graffiti wall was well cool, nice thing to do for a few minutes, the guy that owned it was sound aswell!

the random things going on everywere

the chalet, i hate getting woken up at like 10 in the monring sweating my tits off!

the people!

bloctv was nice to spin out to before going to sleep

the trolleys

Lows:

i swear not enough people were getting into the music.. like not dancing at all. especialy when people would push in front of you and just stand still drinking their beer and getting assy if you knocked them a bit..

too much dubstep on friday

too many clashes but i guess with such an awesome line up its hard to avoid

the fact that security were going round looking into chalets..

overall though..

BRING ON BLOC 010!
glad you liked it, bloc has not disappointed even after 3 attempts :wink:
"Dope on the table?" - Daniels
meggychops

Post by meggychops »

Highlights

Jak Bloc on Sunday morning from 5am onwards.
Enjoying the Sunday morning sunshine.

Joe hart before Q-Bert

The 2p/10p slot machines.

The friendly staff who smiled and said hello in the mornings.

Lows

Expecting FSOL to actually be there, thinking I was about to witness the most epic gig ever, and walking out after half an hour.

Q-Bert kinda boring me a bit.

Having to leave on Monday Morning.

The vending machine running out of juice on Monday when I thought I was about to faint.

ALL IN ALL NOT TOO SHABBY!
TheBellsOnACat

Post by TheBellsOnACat »

highs:

frequency 7 - amazing 90 minutes
colin dale (as ever)
aphex (was an "experience" like no other - the crowd reaction really mad it althou at times it felt like being inside a cement mixer full of samples from "i care because you do")
rob hall
zion train
the weather, the pool, the beach

lows:
accomodation with no shower , worse than a caravan, not getting enough sleep
missing green velvet
FSOL had only 1 good tune (PNG)
the general grimness of staying in Butlins
dubstep (at least i now know i dont like it !)
the food

not a patch on Sonar - overall it goes in the "interesting" box !
projekte

Post by projekte »

hmmm not sure if you can really compare it to sonar...ones in barcelona, the other in butlins! different vibes altogether
Million

Post by Million »

projekte wrote:hmmm not sure if you can really compare it to sonar...ones in barcelona, the other in butlins! different vibes altogether
I think BLOC's much nicer than sonar, more of a group feel to it all staying in the same place n that, more distractions in barcelona, nice places to eat, drink, with bloc, its more of a party
TheBellsOnACat

Post by TheBellsOnACat »

for me the professionalism of sonar was streets ahead, the quality of the second tier acts, sound systems, general ambience, cd/ t shirt stalls - all much better - then again i like minimal techno and house, and dislike dubstep

ok barca didnt have the "happy camper" vibe but i wasnt feeling that in bloc either

anyway horses for courses but i wouldnt go back to bloc in butlins
Million

Post by Million »

TheBellsOnACat wrote: anyway horses for courses
Aye as you say horses for courses, for me BLOC is more down to earth, which is sommat i like

BLOC security is also a walk in the park covered in cotton wool compared to what i've seen @ Sonar
Sombience

Post by Sombience »

TheBellsOnACat wrote:althou at times it felt like being inside a cement mixer full of samples from "i care because you do"
Is that really such a bad thing mate ;-)

Disagree on FSOL playing only one good song though I might've had them play more of my favs haha, it was still a mindmelting experience.
keg

Post by keg »

fucking hell what a weekend eh?
my first bloc experience couldnt of got better.

highs:
the people and the vibe were definitely one of the main highlights,i was messily fucked and didnt know where i was during saturday morning till the music but i was welcomed to any chalet i wandered near with a beer and endless banter.
aphex and hecker.
ebola was sick.
joker and blazey (but dont you just hate the rude boi dubstep attitude?!)
amental was well good but played well too early to be dealing with the breakcore.
lee scratch perry
scientist.
the swimming pool was wicked but could of been better by playing some ambient music for a full recovery experience.
losing my funktion 1 virginity.
bloc tv for messing with my mind.

lows:
somehow wandering into minehead without remembering how i got there which made me miss the start of aphex.
richard devine and modeselektor playing the same time as aphex.
everybody bumming up skream and benga when i thought they were alright but over rated.
not being able to remember any names of the people i met.
coaches on monday were long!
bloc tv for messing with my mind.

a phat thank you to everyone who made this happen.