Highs & Lows

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

CyberMonkey

Post by CyberMonkey »

it was terribly crowded there, wasn't really the right time to do some heavy dancing. My troubles there were limited to some bumping and knocking though, nothing bad.
Next time, put them in the centre stage :)
plate_eyes

Post by plate_eyes »

Highs -
Ebola - although why was he on soooo early?
Skream & Benga - Best visuals
Richard Devine - OMG, awesome set! My high-light of the weekend
The two smurfs!
Clark
Otto Von Schirach
Bizzi B
All the old-skool rave, heard some classic tunes that I thought I would never hear played live by 2Bad Mice, Altern-8 and 4Hero
The venue was superb - free tap water at the bar, 24-hour food available and loadsa space to chill out
The crowd was the most friendly group of people I've been around at a festival/weekender - didn't see any trouble, everyone was jus there to enjoy the scene

Lows -

FSOL - 'live' via ISDN? Thought this was a real shame as the set was good but there was no atmosphere cos they weren't actually there and FSOL had no way of gauging what the crowds reaction was in order to step it up. I also heard a lot clicks and pops cos the audio was being transmitted through an ISDN line.
Aphex clashing with ModeSelektor, choosing to see Aphex and then wishing I'd seen ModeSelektor
The police-state security prowling around and flashing torches in peoples faces. Any trouble that might've happened probably would've been provoked by these guys and their power-trips!
misspottymouth

Post by misspottymouth »

Skream & Benga - Best visuals

The two smurfs!

haha totally agree! The visuals were amazing!!!!

I had a proper good dance with the two smurfs, they made their hats out of one of their mums pillows. boss lads
Drugged_Kittens

Highs and lows

Post by Drugged_Kittens »

Highs:

Pretty much everything :D
The wave machine - if you looked down from the tower for the slides it looked just like an aquatic rave.
All the safe people who came
Bass Clef, Tim Exile, Clark, Aphex, Joker & Kode9
Fry up and sunday roast in the pub

Lows:
Having to choose between Egyptian lover and Clark.
The evil old bastard who didn't let us in his 'Empathy room' for a cup of tea when we were mashed.
Martyn playing Simply Red -wtf? :?
Sombience

Post by Sombience »

Highs:
- The whole entire weekend. Lifechanging.

- FSOL. Yes, I was indeed disappointed when I learned they were not going to be there in person, but I still found the entire experience amazing. I was in tears with my girl after their set topped off. It was spiritual.

- Pole, the first live act we caught. Fuckin' wicked, his sound has evolved.

- Lee Scratch Perry and Scientist. We stayed drug free all weekend but felt stoned after seeing these guys

- Jamie Lidell, incredible versatile guy. He had the crowd pumping, us included.

- Afrika Bombaata - WE liked the 70s tunes!

- Carl Craig - Made us feel like we were on X

- Blowing a circuit in our chalet (and my girl making me look bad by fixing it)

- Breathing in the stoner wiffs that would come every couple hours from the blokes in the chalet next to us

- Same blokes calling us 'angry americans' then wondering if "we were ok" in the next breath

- The guy miming with us for ten minutes during Carl Craig

- The guy singing Christmas carols to us during Carl Craig

Lows:
- FSOL was only an hour and a half set

- We were unable to see Aphex's whole set (what we did hear was ace)

- We had to skip 2 Bad Mice due to pushing ourselves a bit too far (though we did regenerate quite well a bit later)

- Our flask being confiscated by security in jak stage

- Carl Craig ending WAY too soon

- BLOC ending way too soon... the fact that it did end

In addition to Bloc, we made countless unforgettable discoveries about how wonderful the English really are. America, or anyone, has nothing on you lot. We love you guys! See you next year!!!

Our photos:
http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... cs%202009/
http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... cs%202009/
Last edited by Sombience on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
chrisclarksda

Post by chrisclarksda »

Highs:

FSOL by far the best set at the gig.
Unlikely & Kutz, what a set!
Modeselektor.
Afrika Bambaataa
Beardyman
Clark
In the Chalet on Saturday morning, what a high :D :D :D and laugh we had! Good times.

Lows:

Radioactive Man, he looked as if he couldnt be arsed and kept fucking up especially Uranium! Sort it out man!

Buses leaving late on Monday resulting in me missing my flight!
manthrax

Post by manthrax »

highs
carl craig
frequency 7
i-f
daniel bell
alexander robotnik
james ruskin
robert hood
redshape

lows
afrika bambaata playing love generation
the sound fuckups during billy nasty's set
the motherfucker who turned the sound off while carl craig was still playing....disrispectful
waking up EARLY monday morning.

amazing weekend
Moer

Post by Moer »

I thought the accomodation was a lot better this year. More luxurious en more choice in the supermarket and eating facilities.

The music was great as always. My favorite sets were:

FSOL
Altern8
Aphex Twin & Hecker
ADJ
Cosmic Force

The only negative I think were the bar employees at times. Sometimes it took like 15 minutes to get a drink.
I believe in everything until it's disproved. It all exists, even if it's in your mind - John Lennon
tjhertz

Post by tjhertz »

CyberMonkey wrote:Highs: loads of them.
Some minor things that bugged me:

Didn't find anything healthy to eat :) Would have loved some guy with a small stand full of apples, bananas, freshly pressed fruitjuice and other vitamin-, sugar-, taste- and juice-rich brightly colored stuff at affordable prices. Maybe there was, but than I missed it.
pizza hut salad bar - £3.99 for a box that you could pack as high as you liked. it pretty much saved my soul.
Dead Rats

Post by Dead Rats »

tjhertz wrote:
CyberMonkey wrote:Highs: loads of them.
Some minor things that bugged me:

Didn't find anything healthy to eat :) Would have loved some guy with a small stand full of apples, bananas, freshly pressed fruitjuice and other vitamin-, sugar-, taste- and juice-rich brightly colored stuff at affordable prices. Maybe there was, but than I missed it.
pizza hut salad bar - £3.99 for a box that you could pack as high as you liked. it pretty much saved my soul.
We had the £7.99 all-you-can-eat buffet on Saturday morning. Fucking class.

I could only manage about 3 slices, though, as there was still a couple of liters of beer sloshing around in my stomach :'(

To be fair, I didn't eat much the whole weekend. I think I averaged about 3 slices of pizza and a bag of Bacon rashers over the whole thing.
unlikely

Post by unlikely »

wow! what an amazing time! actually the best festival i've ever been to!

Highs:

BASS CLEF oh my days, he showed everyone how its done!

APPLEBLIM an old friend on top of his game, beautiful set that really showed off the scope of dubstep

BIZZY B takin us back..

2 BAD MICE even further...

The arcades! the rides! the beach! the fish and chips in minehead! the CIDER (35 liters in our chalet by the end :oops: )!! THE LOVELY LOVELY PEOPLE!

And of course everyone who put Kutz and myself in their highs! We're really really chuffed!

Lows:

not many really, had a touch of flu on sunday but the cider sorted that out. Wasn't blown away by aphex, some dickheads pushed in between me and my girlfriend and when i asked them nicely to move just a bit they just said no, then proceeded to try and get a rise out of me for the whole show, lovely. I think they may have been the only 2 unpleasant people in the whole place though so meh.

roll on BLOCGLADE!!
:D
Moer

Post by Moer »

The airhockey HAS to be mentioned as a HIGH, we played it alot 8)
I believe in everything until it's disproved. It all exists, even if it's in your mind - John Lennon
Million

Post by Million »

unlikely wrote:some dickheads pushed in between me and my girlfriend and when i asked them nicely to move just a bit they just said no, then proceeded to try and get a rise out of me for the whole show, lovely.
Exactly the same thing happened to me n my m8s during aphex, but with a photographer, she pushed right infront of us, obscuring all views, when my m8 asked her what she was up to, she went off on a major rant and flashed my m8 in the face, which made him blind for a bit, and then acted like the victim, not very nice really, we understand she has a job to do, but at the cost of barging people out of the way is fuking out of order, i noticed this alot on the weekend, does a telephoto lense give u the right to fuk people off?
Never mind, theres always 1 innit
joecrib

Post by joecrib »

highs -

general good vibes and sound people
banging systems in every room
lots of space even if it was like bingo hall / service station
being able to sleep in a bed all afternoon rather than in a tent for half an hour like at most fests.
having nice food and sofas and tv and tunes to chill out with at the chalet

2562, appleblim, aphex twin, green velvet, altern8 and most of te music i saw was quality. even enjoyed bambaataa despite the utter shite he played cos i was very fucked at that point

lows-

vexd not turning up - fair enough though apparently his kid was ill
missing rustie/hudmo/martyn because i was too spanked and retreated to the sofa at 4 :x
fsol were shite, boring, aimless tunes and very little stage presence :roll:
it went too quick cos i got battered all night and slept all day
Catcore

Post by Catcore »

Highs

Altern 8, 2 Bad Mice, AGT Rave Cru, Mc Mash Clan, Bass Clef, Jamie Lidell, Beardyman, Ebola, Lukes Anger, Qbert, Drums of Death, Rusco

The Chalet was braw

Met some really nice people and no trouble all weekend.

Didnt see anyone collapsing like last year, which was scary so well done everyone for pacing themselves.

Seeing a guy wearing a horses head ha ha

Lows

The food. We all had fish an chips on the saturday and ended up with dodgy stomachs. Ended up with a dodgy stomach from a breakfast bap thing too.

Some guy who obviously takes music too seriously trying to slag me for enjoying beardymans set because apparently beardyman isnt that good when you get over the fact that he is just using his voice. what a bell end that guy was. beardyman rocked it and hope to see him again soon!!!!!!!!

Missing the toilet on saturday night when i was steaming and soaking our bathroom floor.

Thinking the machine had swallowed my bank card on saturday, getting all the shop staff involved, phoning my mum to cancel my bank card then finding it in my wallet. must have put it there and forgot then thought the machine had swallowed it.

Bell ends out the back of us having a party with a loud sound system from 11AM-3PM on the sunday when we were trying to sleep. Fair enough have a party, but dont put the speakers outside and turn it up that loud that it shakes the glass in the windows.

all in all had a great time and will def be back next year