General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

dj_yt

Aphex Twin

Post by dj_yt »

Can't argue with that. I've never seen him play either :shock:
machineisbored

Post by machineisbored »

Seen him a couple of times, he's a cheeky one - likes to make out he doesn't give a shit about the audience, but you can see him smirking behind his laptop when he drops it..
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

Seriously, whats the fascination with AFX? OK - he made some brilliant music in the past, but he hasnt put anything genre bending or defining for a long time, there's much more exciting producers (and DJ's, for I assume this is just an Aphex DJ set from the lack of the word 'live' after his name on the lineup page) out there worthy of your attention and adoration. Joker for a start.
stripeyhat

Post by stripeyhat »

:lol: get off that fence dublinstep ;)

I've seen him four times (I think) and can tell you now his set at Glade 2005 was one of the best two hours I've ever spent dancing. Oh and he's not played live since 1996 or something, so that blows that one out of the window...

But anyway, horses for courses innit, go and watch something else when he's on!

:)
dj_yt

Post by dj_yt »

Don't think anyone made out they were fascinated with him.

I do regularly have a shuffle to Digeridoo though.
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

he makes (good) genre defining music and is a very good DJ / performer, what more dya want? seriously his dj sets are some of the best I've seen. he knows the music he plays.
irishemma

Post by irishemma »

I saw him at T in the Park this year and it was amazing. I didn't know what to expect, and it was quite dark and bizarre stuff but still excellent
beer

Post by beer »

i last heard him at Dedbeat 1 (the original bloc) and was pretty impressed.
but then these were the likes who played in the same room that weekend.

Two Lone Swordsmen live . Andy Weatherall . Kitbuilders . Bass Junkie .
Silicon Scally . Rephlex Disco Assault Systems: Aphex Twin, DMX Krew, Mike Dred, Depth Charge...

i think this was in 2001????

Big Daddy Kane was also at that weekender...
what a weekend that was!!!
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

yeah cracking weekend that. first time i saw edan and insight too, that shit blew me away! it would be nice to see a bit more hip hop at bloc, although africa bambaataa is a bit special! :)
Sho'Nuff

Post by Sho'Nuff »

Should make for an interesting set if he's playing with Hecker.
Am I the meanest?
Am I the prettiest?
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town?
beer

Post by beer »

jarman808 wrote:yeah cracking weekend that. first time i saw edan and insight too, that shit blew me away! it would be nice to see a bit more hip hop at bloc, although africa bambaataa is a bit special! :)
fecking cold in those caravanettes, mind. :lol:
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

beer wrote:
jarman808 wrote:yeah cracking weekend that. first time i saw edan and insight too, that shit blew me away! it would be nice to see a bit more hip hop at bloc, although africa bambaataa is a bit special! :)
fecking cold in those caravanettes, mind. :lol:
yeah we ran out of electric or the fire broke or something. cold as a wicthes tit! it snowed if i remember correctly. what a weekend, will never forget ;)
BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

we were all there too (aged about 17!), it was just up the road for us - couldn't believe our luck. fuckin A weekend had by all!
beer

Post by beer »

yeah, thats right, it did snow. bloody windy as well. i fell asleep in front of one of those fires and woke up with a massive burn hole in me favorite jumper. the music in the pool/snooker room was a nice touch too for daytime festivities. messy pool room in the days of no non smoking ban. :wink:

would be good to have a bit more hip hop at bloc.
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

beer wrote:yeah, thats right, it did snow. bloody windy as well. i fell asleep in front of one of those fires and woke up with a massive burn hole in me favorite jumper. the music in the pool/snooker room was a nice touch too for daytime festivities. messy pool room in the days of no non smoking ban. :wink:

would be good to have a bit more hip hop at bloc.
agreed