New Venue for Bloc 2012...

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

dublinstep

Re: New Venue for Bloc 2012...

Post by dublinstep »

Million wrote: I cant help be a bit skeptical about the local infrastructure not coping with 5000 heads for a few days, when it seems to cope fine all the other months with holiday makers.
Im sniffing licencing issues for the usual reasons, i could be wrong but its screaming that to me and everyone else ive spoke to.
+1 on this. Its a venue built for 5,000 people - its not as if there were loads of extra people crammed into the place above capacity. There are other festivals happening there now too - they've increased in the last while rather than decreased (eg ATP now there instead of Camber Sands).

Most people tend to stay on-site over the course of the weekend, and get their food & beer from Tescos around the corner, I sincerely doubt that Tesco were complaining about the spike in business from the weekend. I cant see how the town couldnt cope with a few stragglers heading up to the local pubs (which we did, it was nice to get out of the Butlins for a while, we were the only Bloc'ers in there) or the chippers.

I wouldnt be surprised if some of the incidents from last year (something about an Irish guy putting his head/hand/something through a window?) and other times in the past, making the owners just say it wasnt worth it having 5000 headbangers running around the site.
Christyboyrebel

Post by Christyboyrebel »

dublinstep wrote:
I wouldnt be surprised if some of the incidents from last year (something about an Irish guy putting his head/hand/something through a window?) and other times in the past, making the owners just say it wasnt worth it having 5000 headbangers running around the site.

Man, this'd be a horrible but probably true reality. I always feel like Bloccers are fairly sedate but when there are chalets with busted windows on your row you know something is definitely rotten in the state of Sesh-mark.

But does this mean we're gonna be bounced along to somewhere which is basically not as good just to keep us "out of the way"? I trust Bloc to sort something typically awesome but what options are out there that are gonna be better suited? I've heard Centre Parks rumblings but ain't that gonna be expensive? I dunno, anybody else got any ideas?
Cheese is once again a kind of meat..
mrgriff_rox

Post by mrgriff_rox »

I am thinking exactly the same. Seriously what kind of place has the infrastructure set up to handle an indoor festival like this. If it's not going to be Butlins, I'm really struggling.

On the Centre Parcs thing, yes it would be great but I don't know anything about the main areas, could you get 4ish arenas together there, are they big enough? Also if this is planned on being later in the year and Bloc has hinted at it being warmer, wont Centre Parcs be full of normies? Can't rave with them in the way!!

Cost worries me too, it is already about the maximum I am willing to spend to go, Centre Parcs screams of being more expensive. Some reassurance on this issue would be greatly appreciated Blocwkd.

But as I have already said, if it aint Centre Parcs, where the hell can it go????

I am waiting for Bloc to pull it out of the bag, but the more I think about it the more worried I get.

One last thing, no one has mentioned about it going abroad, I could see this happening, I'm sure there would be appropriate venues somewhere in Europe, dunno if I would fancy a trek that far though

Humph! :(
Christyboyrebel

mrgriff_rox wrote: One last thing, no one has mentioned about it going abroad, I could see this happening, I'm sure there would be appropriate venues somewhere in Europe, dunno if I would fancy a trek that far though
(
You're scaring me man! Bloc is England, it just is. And that's coming form an Irishman. Goin' abroad would just not be the same, but the more I think about it, the likelier it could be... but surely not???

And the point you make about later in the year being filled with "normals" is totally bang on. Where is gonna be free of judging eyes and have the proper infrastructure during actual holiday times?

(A university campus?- random thought that just popped into my head when typing)

Basically we need an announcement, why tell us its changing just to make us wait? Come on you cruel MOFO's.

(They're really building the excitement for me though...secretly loving it :? )
disco_stu

Post by disco_stu »

I can't imagine Bloc taking place in the summer, it will be competing with a lot of other festivals plus the likes of Butlins, Pontins etc are gonna be full to the brim with families and as for Centre Parcs - have you seen the prices they charge?

March really was the perfect time for Bloc, it gave you something to look forward to in the dark months of January and February

Maybe they are looking to move to another Butlins? Is Skegness any bigger than Minehead?
Christyboyrebel

Disco Stu is so right.

I already feel a massive gap in my calendar around March-time. What am I supposed to cling to to get me through the grimness?

(I don't really think it'll be summer either but March was good for me.)

On moving to another Butlins site, a quick search of Wikipedia doesn't show that Skegness is any bigger than Minehead, and I just don't think there'd be any point moving to another Butlins for the same thing to happen again.

Still have no other ideas meself tho.

Boo-urns!
mrgriff_rox

Post by mrgriff_rox »

Also the fact that Bloc wrote this:

As a result, it is no longer possible for the good people at Butlinʼs to accommodate us all, so Bloc is bringing forward plans for expansion into new, brighter territory.

Means to me it definitely wont be happening at any Butlins, but I could be wrong.

Ho hum, on with the waiting
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

Those Centre Parcs places look very nice.

A 2 bedroom place in Longleat Forest for four people for a weekend costs around £400, some more, some less, depending on accomodation. Thats a weekend in March.

£100 each for accomodation isnt too bad, and then another... £80 on top for the acts? Maybe £100? I'd pay £200 for Bloc. Most big festivals are around the £150 mark these days. I'd happily pay the bit extra for a bed, a hot shower, a cooker, a fridge.

Fuck me, you go higher up the price range, there's massive "wood lodge" type places with hot tubs and game rooms.
A grade higher than Hemsby that's for sure... :mrgreen:
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

Where do the Tidy Trax Weekenders take place?
Somewhere in north Wales I vaguely recall. Near Rhyl.

Surely any venue that lets that lot in would be ok with Bloc'ers.
Christyboyrebel

I'd pay 200 quid but I wouldn't like it, surely it has always been around £120 mark for Bloc, naw? Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, that happens a lot.

But Center Parks does look snazzy all the same.

I kinda want somewhere totally off the wall at this stage though, like a theme park or something, or a castle. Just something different.
mrgriff_rox

Post by mrgriff_rox »

Just seen that efestivals has the dates down as June 1st to 3rd 2012 (although it does say TBC)

Also says prices from £150pp but that could be old info

No hint on venue though
mrgriff_rox

Post by mrgriff_rox »

Also seen this in line up info

Floating Points / Kyle Hall / SDC / Roska / Lone

Is stuff starting to come out, or is this old info? Didn't all these play this year?
disco_stu

Post by disco_stu »

June 1st to 3rd 2012
2 weeks before Glade? Thats pretty rubbish if its true, I've got friends who already have tickets for Glade, I can't see them doing 2 festivals in one month.
FIBRE+

Post by FIBRE+ »

I did like having it in March, perfect time of year as it was clear of all the other festivals I consider going to every year and it's not like the cooler weather effected anything.

It would be a shame if the dates or location put people off as I think a majority of people have been going for a few years now and a lot of people travel for the best part of a day to get there from all over Europe.

I don't suppose you can give us some information BLOCwknd?, cryptic or vague is better than nothing :P
dj_yt

Post by dj_yt »

My complete guess would be that the local police force have tried to increase the charge for policing the event, making it less economically viable. This has happened to a few other festivals too.

Of course, I might be wrong and Bloc have presold so many tickets they realised they needed to move somewhere bigger! I remain optimistic, but sad the usual March slot might be gone.