Recommeded viewing - Films about the music we love. .

Say what you will.

Moderators: james, DannyBee, tom p

JDread

Recommeded viewing - Films about the music we love. .

Post by JDread »

Following on from a thread i started about a new film called SPEAKING in CODE i have decided to start a thread on films about electronic music.

I recommend (amongst others) the watching of:

High Tech Soul - The Creation Of Techno Music
"The first film to tackle the deep roots of techno & the culture of Detroit, featuring in-depth interviews with Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Carl Craig & more. "

Better Living Through Circuitry
This film comprehensively explores rave culture and societies views on it (mostly the positive aspects though, which is pleasent). I like it, its fun and has some good tunes and good interviews, it makes me want to go out and party.

Beat Street
I probably watch this film, along with Breakin' and Wild Style three or so times a year. Of the three, Beat Street is my favourite though. It is a fairly awful film, but if you ignore the plot the documentary footage is incredible.
Music and breakdancing from: The Rock Steady and NY Breakers, Busy Bee, Melle Mel and the Furious Five, Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force, Tina B., Brenda Starr, Treacherous Three and Doug E. Fresh. Plus a whole bunch of old bronx footage, painted trains, The Roxy, DJ Kool Herc and more Nike Windrunners than you can shake a stick at.

If anyone has watched/watches please discuss. Also any other recomendations would be greatly recieved.

J
Last edited by JDread on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Re: Recommeded viewing - Films about the music we love. .

Post by james »

Good idea for a thread J.

Modulations is pretty neat. It covers electronica from its roots back in the 50s all the way up to the rave scene. As it was made in 1998 it obviously doesn't deliver all the information to modern day, but still an entertaining watch. Expect to see Pierre Henry Robert Moog, Afrika Bambaataa, Squarepusher, Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Autechre, Orbital, and FSOL amongst others.