karl bartos

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

xkejjer

karl bartos

Post by xkejjer »

how ghastly was he? a total disaster..his solo songs are an insult to good electro-pop and the worst thing is that even when he played the great kraftwerk songs, he actually made them sound bad, as if a very bad cover band was playing them..

it was embarassing.
jumprface

Post by jumprface »

yup i second that, not good at all

but more often than not that seems to be the case when old legends come out of the woodwork.....maybe its just a cash thing

UR weren't up to the challenge either IMO

MILANESE FUCKING ROCKED IT!!
Moer

Post by Moer »

I saw Bartos for the 3rd time this weekend I stil liked his set. His own songs are quite cheesy, but I loved the Kraftwerk songs.
I believe in everything until it's disproved. It all exists, even if it's in your mind - John Lennon
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

jumprface wrote: but more often than not that seems to be the case when old legends come out of the woodwork.....maybe its just a cash thing
I dont know if they were ever big enough to qualify as legends, but I thought Red Snapper reformed were one of the highlights of the weekend. Still very tight, melodic, looping edgy jazz music... as fresh as when I saw them first about eleven years ago.
evilbaronP

Post by evilbaronP »

dublinstep wrote:
jumprface wrote:
I dont know if they were ever big enough to qualify as legends, but I thought Red Snapper reformed were one of the highlights of the weekend. Still very tight, melodic, looping edgy jazz music... as fresh as when I saw them first about eleven years ago.
Red Snapper are definitely legends. Amazing set. I always preferred them without vocalists.

Enjoyed Bartos too. Great to see the Kraftwerk stuff live. Think I'd have been disappointed if I'd paid good money for a Bartos gig, but as part of such an amazing lineup... need I say more?
Kinder

Re: karl bartos

Post by Kinder »

xkejjer wrote:how ghastly was he? a total disaster..his solo songs are an insult to good electro-pop and the worst thing is that even when he played the great kraftwerk songs, he actually made them sound bad, as if a very bad cover band was playing them..

it was embarassing.
Were you at the same gig? Karl Bartos hit all the right notes as far as I was concerned, he managed to update yet still preserve several Kraftwerk classics (let's face it, you'd have complained if they'd sounded exactly the same as the originals), the visuals and sound quality were both extremely good AND to top it all off he played the Telephone Song!

Given the number of AV shows Hr Bartos plays each year it's unlikely I'll ever see him again, so thanks again to Bloc for ferrying him over - it was a show I'll never forget!
xkejjer

Post by xkejjer »

what on earth.. so you're saying that i was prejudiced? well, to inform you, some time back karl bartos was in malta and he did a very good dj set and i thouroughly enjoyed myself.. so i was actually expecting something at least decent.. not the shitty electro and shitty techno pop that he calls songs, and the massacre that he did of kraftwerk's old songs. only a tone deaf person could say that he did them well, and the only way one can like his solo songs is if one has a penchant for silly, cheesy and very very shit songs.
jmp909

Post by jmp909 »

silly, cheesy and very very shit songs
2 out of 3 aint bad :P

j.

"by pressing down a special key, it plays a little melody..diddlee derr derr"
georgehull

Re: karl bartos

Post by georgehull »

Kinder wrote:
xkejjer wrote:how ghastly was he? a total disaster..his solo songs are an insult to good electro-pop and the worst thing is that even when he played the great kraftwerk songs, he actually made them sound bad, as if a very bad cover band was playing them..

it was embarassing.
Were you at the same gig? Karl Bartos hit all the right notes as far as I was concerned, he managed to update yet still preserve several Kraftwerk classics (let's face it, you'd have complained if they'd sounded exactly the same as the originals), the visuals and sound quality were both extremely good AND to top it all off he played the Telephone Song!

Given the number of AV shows Hr Bartos plays each year it's unlikely I'll ever see him again, so thanks again to Bloc for ferrying him over - it was a show I'll never forget!

i personally really enjoyed the bartos show.. made my spine tingle seeing juan atkins getting down to one of his heroes as well.

i just thought it was a bit special, different strokes for different folks tho eh?
http/www.baselogic.net/ - dynamic audio assault from people who care
junoface

Post by junoface »

For me Bartos was probably the highlight. Granted I was off my tits, but still I thoroughly enjoyed it... When I saw Kraftwerk at Brixton Academy it was amazing but no one was dancing - it was like a stadium gig or something. Bartos at BLOC and everone was getting down.
dgirl365

Post by dgirl365 »

I thought Bartos was great - Ive waited over 20 years to hear some of those tunes live - trans europe express was truly amazing to hear. Out of all of the artists over the weekend I thought that they sounded... well so 'Vorsprung durch Technik' ;). Definitely one of the highlights for me where the old stuff was concerned. The newer stuff I thought was cheesey but it was forgivble for someone with such an input to electronic music.