How was it?!?!

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

sydb

Hemsby/Pontins

Post by sydb »

It was good. Juan Atkins' set was amazing. Bartos was fun.

But Pontins is a fucking shithole more like a prison camp than a holiday camp and Hemsby is also a fucking shithole.

Maybe I'm just not hard core enough but what did people eat? On Friday I had half a cold cheese and onion pasty and a packet of monster munch. On Saturday I went to the fucking Captain's Table up by the arcades (which are like something from an episode of Twilight Zone), I had possibly the most foul fish and chips I've ever put in my mouth. Friends had Irish Stew which looked like something had puked it up. On Sunday i had beans on toast from the Two Ways Cafe, my mate had a bacon roll "the roll was like it was made from sawdust and sand". He didn't finish his bacon roll.

I went to glastonbury last year, the music was awful but the food was amazing and the surroundings didn't make me want to take my own life.

BLOC please can we have some decent eating? And why does it say on the website there is a choice of RESTAURANTS in the campsite? There is Carters Egyptian Restaurant which served polystyrene tubs with who knows what inside, nobody dared look. The only visible food there was little tubs of flora, were people getting that heated up and plopped in their carry out boxes to spoon into their mouths?

This didn't ruin my weekend but for fuck sake Could Do Better. How about a different location, maybe somewhere that isn't the fucking land of the damned?

Cheers!

Sydb.
suitcasepimp

Post by suitcasepimp »

you know you're in a chalet... and you can cook stuff yourself :P

After the crappy burger I had in the cafe, I decided to just cook own stuff...
beer

Post by beer »

a bowl of soup
beer

Re: Hemsby/Pontins

Post by beer »

sydb wrote:It was good. Juan Atkins' set was amazing. Bartos was fun.

But Pontins is a fucking shithole more like a prison camp than a holiday camp and Hemsby is also a fucking shithole.

Maybe I'm just not hard core enough but what did people eat? On Friday I had half a cold cheese and onion pasty and a packet of monster munch. On Saturday I went to the fucking Captain's Table up by the arcades (which are like something from an episode of Twilight Zone), I had possibly the most foul fish and chips I've ever put in my mouth. Friends had Irish Stew which looked like something had puked it up. On Sunday i had beans on toast from the Two Ways Cafe, my mate had a bacon roll "the roll was like it was made from sawdust and sand". He didn't finish his bacon roll.

I went to glastonbury last year, the music was awful but the food was amazing and the surroundings didn't make me want to take my own life.

BLOC please can we have some decent eating? And why does it say on the website there is a choice of RESTAURANTS in the campsite? There is Carters Egyptian Restaurant which served polystyrene tubs with who knows what inside, nobody dared look. The only visible food there was little tubs of flora, were people getting that heated up and plopped in their carry out boxes to spoon into their mouths?

This didn't ruin my weekend but for fuck sake Could Do Better. How about a different location, maybe somewhere that isn't the fucking land of the damned?

Cheers!

Sydb.

were you there for the music or the food/sights etc ?
you should have been at the first dedbeat.. caravanettes that swayed in the wind. it even snowed a wee bit..
as for food???? should they book jamie oliver next year??????

great job again bloc :D
chalk_outline

Post by chalk_outline »

i thought the chalets were first class. having somewhere to lay your head after a massive night that wasnt a gutter or a tent helped make the weekend that bit more enjoyable.

highlights for me :

monolake - seriously awesome. clean and heavy and only a sound system like that was able to back it up.

the black dog - nuff said

wee djs - blew me away like i was hoping. ball tearing electro at its finest. loved the piano neck tie :P

will definately be back next year!
Moer

Post by Moer »

Can't wait till next year :D
I believe in everything until it's disproved. It all exists, even if it's in your mind - John Lennon
sydb

Re: Hemsby/Pontins

Post by sydb »

beer wrote: were you there for the music or the food/sights etc ?
you should have been at the first dedbeat.. caravanettes that swayed in the wind. it even snowed a wee bit..
as for food???? should they book jamie oliver next year??????

great job again bloc :D
Of course I was there for the music but I came to earth in Human form which means I require more than just music for survival over a three day period, that includes food and I like to eat well. This was not possible. I also like pleasant surroundings, again not possible. Maybe when I was in my twenties I wouldn't have noticed but as we get older our bodies and minds get more demanding for comforts like edible food.

Honestly I think it would improve the experience vastly.
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

hmmmm I heard there is a chinese that delivers to chalets. I bought a load of asda food and only ate a piece of toast all weekend. Oops
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
chalk_outline

Post by chalk_outline »

DannyBee wrote:hmmmm I heard there is a chinese that delivers to chalets. I bought a load of asda food and only ate a piece of toast all weekend. Oops
dont blame you ;)
dj_yt

Post by dj_yt »

We 100% cooked our own food this year...

Massive Fry-up - check!
Jerk Chicken with sweat potato - check!
Endless pizzas - mmmm!

There's no way you want to risk the Pontins canteen!!
BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

hehe

BLOC ain't about the food!

you've got your own kitchen anyway?
dgirl365

Post by dgirl365 »

Bit late with my reply here but been coping with the lergy in another post .... what can I say - Im seriously wondering if anything is gonna come close to this weekend for the rest of the year. The people where great, the weekend was run professionally and it was just a pleasure to hear the music over that weekend, (especially the acid Sunday for an old timer like me.) I really am looking forward to seeing who you get on next year, I know that I will be there. :)
capri1

hembsy, food, bloc

Post by capri1 »

the food was dreadfull and hemsby is straight out of a science fiction experiment (Bel Aire looked a great rival to Pontins). I went to bloc for the music and did not want to spend time cooking in the kitchen (?!)

Highlights
1 the authentic carpet in Carters Egyptian restaurant
2 Over usage of sunglasses inside dark rooms
3 Karl Bartos freestyling into euro pop - still an amazing set
4 the air conditioned chalets
5 the tight security at Bloc (on my arrival I was alone in the office, no one checked me at all)
6 the watchtower in pontins
7 Christ - best music of whole weekend
8 Mr T's educational video - "how to recoup"
Loz

Post by Loz »

hahaha

I forgot about the Mr T video. That was ace.
saint in exile

Post by saint in exile »

BLOCwknd wrote:hehe

BLOC ain't about the food!

you've got your own kitchen anyway?
Exactly.You wouldn`t go to a food festival and complain about the music would you!
Thought it was brilliant myself,spoilt for choice with the music,the vibe was cool and the chalets were a damn sight better than a boggy field.Roll on next year