Headliners!

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

mrgriff_rox

Headliners!

Post by mrgriff_rox »

Now then,

Last year we had FSOL and AFX as headliners which seemed to fit quite well with the vibe of Bloc. This year it seems to be Salt n Pepa, Grandmaster Flash or Ms Dynamite! Doesn't seem quite right to me. Although the line-up has some awesome acts already (particularly Overkill) where is that mega-act that alone makes you want to fork out for a ticket?

Also, it may be because I'm not familiar with all the acts on the line-up but there doesn't seem to be as much IDM on the bill this year (apart from Autechre obviously). Otto and Richard Devine blew the piss out of my balls last year and was hoping for more of the same this year.

Don't want to moan too much cos last year was so good and I'm sure 2010 will be ace too, just wanted to voice my opinions.

Griff
BLOCwknd

Re: Headliners!

Post by BLOCwknd »

There is still one more headline act still TBA!

In the mean time, how does this grab ya?

BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

Russell Haswell added too...
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

mrgriff_rox wrote:Now then,

Last year we had FSOL and AFX as headliners which seemed to fit quite well with the vibe of Bloc. This year it seems to be Salt n Pepa, Grandmaster Flash or Ms Dynamite! Doesn't seem quite right to me. Although the line-up has some awesome acts already (particularly Overkill) where is that mega-act that alone makes you want to fork out for a ticket?

Also, it may be because I'm not familiar with all the acts on the line-up but there doesn't seem to be as much IDM on the bill this year (apart from Autechre obviously). Otto and Richard Devine blew the piss out of my balls last year and was hoping for more of the same this year.

Don't want to moan too much cos last year was so good and I'm sure 2010 will be ace too, just wanted to voice my opinions.

Griff
I agree on all counts. I'm a bit dissapointed at the lack of proper electro this year. The previous 3 blocs have been amaizing for this, making bloc a must event for any true electro fan. There is some good stuff on, but nothing compared to egyption lover, dynamix ii, manasyt, legowelt etc.. Also a lack of IDM (although ya cant get much more IDM than Autechre) as you say. seems to be a lot of UK bass music this year which is OK but doesnt get me as excited about going as much as say richard devine, dynamix ii or karl Bartos.
soundcloud.com/agent808
mrgriff_rox

Post by mrgriff_rox »

Exactamundo!

Russell Haswell should be interesting looking fwd to that, forgot about Luke Vibert too which should be good.

All in all I know it will be awesome, only 5 weeks to go!!!!!!! :band:
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

jarman808 wrote:seems to be a lot of UK bass music this year which is OK but doesnt get me as excited about going as much as say richard devine, dynamix ii or karl Bartos.
I think its a good thing. Its a change, leaning a different way to previous years. Change or die!
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

dublinstep wrote:
jarman808 wrote:seems to be a lot of UK bass music this year which is OK but doesnt get me as excited about going as much as say richard devine, dynamix ii or karl Bartos.
I think its a good thing. Its a change, leaning a different way to previous years. Change or die!
I think there's room for both. I like many styles of music, I dont see why they cant be equally represented. It's a shame electro is so unpopular
soundcloud.com/agent808
jarman808

Post by jarman808 »

I must admit though, I am looking forward to checking out some stuff i'm not too familiar with like nathan fake, joy orbison etc. also looking forward to al tourrets, reall like his stuff
soundcloud.com/agent808
BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

"The mighty BLOC festival has announced another impressive headliner for their fourth annual event this March: Juan Atkins and "Mad" Mike Banks, playing live as Model 500.

The techno pioneers will play on Saturday night, taking a headlining spot on the main stage. They'll join an already massive lineup, featuring the likes of Autechre, Skream,Lindstrom, Joris Voorn, Joker and dozens more. Aside from Banks and Atkins, the steely sounds of Detroit will be represented by DJs like Omar-S and Derrick May, the latter of whom will play the festival's closing set. The event will mark Model 500's first live performance since last August, and will be the group's first UK show since their 2008 appearance at fabric."

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=11689

8)
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Fantastic news for Model 500! Well worth the wait for that news. :jive: