Connecting laptops to the chalet tvs???

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

Spinbad

Connecting laptops to the chalet tvs???

Post by Spinbad »

Is this the cable we need, or how can it be done?
Cheers
Paudi
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

I'm thinking more this:

Don't beat me if it isn't though! :)
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
Jez

Post by Jez »

I think you want one of those xbox scart plugs with the three (yellow,white,red) rcas on
skeff

Post by skeff »

hmmmm

:-k
Spinbad

Post by Spinbad »

Anyone know the tv model?
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

If you go to overpriced Maplin and get one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 0&doy=12m3

and one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... t&doy=12m3

you can't go wrong.

However please bear in mind that Maplin is the most obscenely overpriced guff land in the world and if you have any independant electronics retailers in your area both of these cables could probably be picked up for a few quid total.

Also as Jez said the Scart cable things come with the xbox, xbox360, PS3 and Wii (Well did with mine)

The 3.5" to Phono cables are an essential you should have if you ever use a laptop for music anyway! If you don't have one and plan on using one out at some point you can go to Richer sounds for something of slightly better quality (Doesn't matter for Bloc TV's though as their sound quality isn't going to be stellar!

http://www.richersounds.com/productlist ... =IPODLEADS

Also their is a chance that the TV in your chalet has no input method. You are then.....

Screwed
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
Spinbad

Post by Spinbad »

cheers
Tribal Hero

Post by Tribal Hero »

We have a dvd player, any ideas on the configuration of this with the tv?
Will we need a scart I presume.
weeblebot

Post by weeblebot »

failing all of that.. you could do worse than tune in to BlocTV!

running 24-7 from the comfort of your own chalet 8)

films, music and live footage from bassbloc

:idea:
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

Are you looking to hook up for video? I cant remember last year if the TVs had a scart input or not. Highly unlikely to be honest, they're small old colour portables. The one in our chalet was anyway, maybe some of the newer chalets up the front had more modern ones. Its possible they just have an RF input, commonly known in Ireland as the TV "pipe" cable, dont know what you call it in the UK, but its just your standard analogue input for an RF cable or ariel.

If they have a SCART input on the back and you want to hook your laptop up to it, it depends on the outputs your laptop has, and whether or not the TV can handle the video signal coming from the laptop.
Most laptops these days have an S-Video (also called S-VHS) output. The best thing is if the TV can handle an S-Video input. You can get an S-Video to SCART adaptor for around 20 euro. This adaptor will also have inputs for composite video and audio (yellow for the video, and red+white for the stereo audio signal) So you hook it up this way
Laptop -> s-video cable -> scart adaptor -> tv

[this is just for the video signal, s-video doesnt handle audio, you need to get a minijack to phono cable for the audio, and connect the minijack output on your laptop up to the phono audio inputs on the scart adaptor)

and then you might need to get the TV remote control, there's usually a button on it that says something like aux, video, or ext and this switches the TV output to the signal thats coming through the scart connection in the back

If your laptop just has a VGA (monitor) output then its a bit trickier. You need to get a VGA to S-video adaptor first, so your setup will now be:
laptop -> vga cable -> vga to s-video adaptor -> s-video cable -> scart adaptor -> tv

sometimes the TV wont handle the s-video signal correctly and it'll only come through in black and white. the audio should be fine though.

nerdcore.
beer

Post by beer »

should you be spending time in your chalet, with all the other great things going on???????

chalets are for wimps.
Loz

Post by Loz »

last Bloc I spent more time sitting in other peoples' chalets than I did in the arenas. That's the nature of festivals, generally. I could have just saved my 100 quid and gone round to someone's bedsit, but then that's not really the point, is it?
Spinbad

Post by Spinbad »

Will be just using it as a speaker system if possible, like you said bloc tv will be on anyway
OR-L

Post by OR-L »

I think you just need this fot the TV :

http://www.musicarius.com/catalog/popup ... p?pID=2229

:)