Sublight Records closing shop :(

Say what you will.

Moderators: james, DannyBee, tom p

james
Site Admin

Sublight Records closing shop :(

Post by james »

Sublight wrote:We are sorry to announce that 2007 is the last year of Sublight Records. We have had the pleasure of putting out great music by amazing artists spanning over 50 releases in only 4 short years. Over the course of 2007 we will be selling off our remaining stock. We would like to thank the listeners, artists and friends who have supported us over the years. Our CDs will remain available for sale on our mailorder until 2008, so get them while you can.

thanks for listening!
They had a great run of releases and it's sad to see them go. I hope this isn't because of all you pirates out there :argh:
Sintec

Post by Sintec »

that sucks...
Sintec

Post by Sintec »

http://www.theflashbulb.net/doc/revolution.htm

Seems the pirates played their part. :evil:
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That's a good article - thanks for the link.

I think he has a lot of valid points there and am happy that he seems to have a new lease of life despite Sublight closing doors. Can't wait to hear his new album 'Soundtrack to a Vacant Life'.
Ra

Post by Ra »

Of course that's because of piracy.

I'm not blaming anyone, but this is why small labels are closing, it's not a surprise and it will be worst and worst, and I think there is no solutions.

The Flashbulb text is ok but a bit weird sometimes.
"A while ago I knew that if my next album as The Flashbulb didn’t sell a miraculous amount of copies, Sublight would be done."
Wow... this is what I call an ego. Or maybe he was thinking about Snares and typed his own name? I don't know.

Anyway that's too bad for Sublight, this label was awesome, for the audience and for the artists.

Concerning me, I'm moving on, things are in the making.
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

I felt that The Flashbulbs "Essay" was pretty pie in the sky. I feel his popularity outside of the US is mainly driven by the internet and it's various music communities. It's hype that is deserved as what I have heard is very good. He has never played in the UK as far as I can tell but I have a few of his albums and think they are awesome. I don't think I would have got into The Flashbulb without the internet and I know if he did play London or Norwich (Drool) i'd be there in a heartbeat.

For him to suggest that he is/was the be all an end all of Sublight is fucking bigheaded. Seems like he has been on too much Image. or something.

I hope you find a new home soon Ra.

:)
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
Ra

Post by Ra »

(I allready did, thanks).
Sintec

Post by Sintec »

DannyBee wrote:For him to suggest that he is/was the be all an end all of Sublight is fucking bigheaded. Seems like he has been on too much Image. or something.
I didn't really see that as the point of his "essay". It was more looking at the reasons why a quality label like Sublight were struggling to turn a profit.

The internet is a fantastic way to discover new music, it's just a shame many people don't follow up discovering the music with buying it. It's even more of a shame that those that do decide to part with their cash are getting ripped off buying CDs through Amazon or mp3s through I Tunes.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You hit the nail directly on the head there Sintec.