Friday 26th November

Move D (Source, Warp, Modern Love)
Solab - LIVE (7th Sign, Lifeworld)
Sean Matthews (Noise Pollution)

The Art School (Vic Bar)
167 Renfrew St
Glasgow
11.00 - 3.00 / £10

If talent converted into record sales, David Moufang would be a very rich man. His records with partner Jonas Grossmann as Deep Space Network and his own solo releases as Move D are among the furthest outreaches of techno's push towards the stars. Moufang grew up in Heidelberg listening to his parents' collection of early Pink Floyd and Kraftwerk records but the most overwhelming influence on his childhood was outer space, the result of a trip to the cinema with his father to see 2001: A Space Odyssey. "I was space crazy as a child," Moufang told journalist Tony Marcus in 1995, "when the other kids were riding around in their little cars I'd be building my own spacecraft. I'd put in a small engine, put rubber on the wheels so it made some noise and stand there with a walkie-talkie and my headphones on. It was very techno..."

Moufang's grandmothers were both classical concert pianists. He can still remember favourite childhood moments, sitting under the piano as they played, surrounded and lost in sound. By the age of 12, he taken up drums (he eventually went on to study classical percussion) and took up the guitar a few years later, this time taking lessons from two separate jazz guitar teachers. He played guitar in a band called Rivers & Trains well into the '90s. Occasionally he even plied his trade as a DJ, spinning electro, funk and jazz. It wasn't until 1989 that he discovered techno when a friend of his, D-Man, invited him to a club he was running in the industrial suburb of Mannheim. When Moufang walked into the Milk! Club that night - like so many others before and after him - he discovered a scene that changed his life. Discovering Detroit, 808 State, Nexus 21 and the first stirrings of ambient techno, Moufang became a committed clubber. Through D-Man, he met Redagain P who converted Moufang's nickname "Mufti" into the more kinetic Move D.

As the world of electronic music continues to move away from the dry, minimal sound, D's warm, deep past looks prescient. But while deep house and ambient music may once again fall out of favor, David Moufang, the man behind the Move D name, will most likely keep plugging away until the whole thing comes around again. (After all, he's already been at it for more than 16 years.) He has been churning out the hits with a string of incredible releases for labels like Smallville, Warp, Source Records, Bine, Plug Research, Workshop and Modern Love. Not one to slack off, his live performances have been on par with (if not superior to) his studio work, pulling from all corners of his diverse catalogue in order to create an experience that attacks the hips and head in equal measure. His releases touch on house conventions but are delivered in his own inimitable style, leaving everyone—from long time fans to the uninitiated—with their jaws on the floor.

Ross McMillan & Graham Wilson.aka Solab have released music on various labels but 7th Sign Recordings is where it all began. Graham runs 7th Sign Recordings with label partner Domenic Cappello (Subclub, Hutton Drive etc.) The label has been given cult status with timeless releases featuring artists like Terrence Parker, Keith Tucker, Carl Finlow, Hutton Drive, Alex Smoke, Franco Cangelli, Sven Weisemann, Roberto Bosco, Itokim and many others, including Solab. Graham ran a few residencies at the Subclub and brought the likes of DJ Bone, Stefan Robbers, Moderator, Estroe, Blake Baxter, Joey Beltram, even Deetron, Ivan Smagghe and Brett Johnson's first Scottish gigs, as well as playing at T in the park and similar such festivals. Ross has been producing music for a long time, mainly on his first love vinyl, but more recently some digital as well. Of late Ross has found some time to work solo as Carlos Nilmmns (as well as producing with Graham!) with artists from around the world and features on a few cool labels which release the likes Johannes Volk, Alex Agore, Moodymann, Seth Troxler, Gerd, YouANDme and many more..
Mr. Matthews

Re: (Glasgow) - Noise Pollution - Move D - 26/11/10

Post by Mr. Matthews »

This Friday...

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 479&ref=ts

Move D mix for XLR8R

01 Kerri Chandler "Hexadecimal" (Deeply Rooted House)
02 Moodymanc "Snore" (Dessous)
03 Rockford Inc. "Mina's Theme" (Roots)
04 Robert Dietz "Witness" (Running Back)
05 Motor City Drum Ensemble "Feel the Love" (Four Roses)
06 Levon Vincent "Games Dub" (Underground Quality)
07 Radio Slave "RJ" (Running Back)
08 Moodymanc "Next Song" (Dessous)
09 Solomun & Jackmate "Factory" (Phil E)
10 Marcel Dettmann "Corebox" (Marcel Dettmann)
11 The Parkwalker "Degeneration" (Nowar)
12 Tyree Cooper & Eric D. Clark "Stuph" (Adapter)
13 Joe R. Lewis "Dub. My Own (Larry Heard Remix)" (Target)
14 Fingers Inc. feat. Chuck Roberts "My House" (Desire)