19 year old killed in club by BASS

Say what you will.

Moderators: james, DannyBee, tom p

james
Site Admin

19 year old killed in club by BASS

Post by james »

From here: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/805430-loud ... t-tom-reid
Metro wrote:Tom Reid, 19, was taken ill in a crowded London club after standing close to the speakers and telling a friend: ‘The bass is affecting me.’

There was no trace of alcohol or drugs in his body and his heart was in good condition.

A coroner recorded a verdict of natural causes, saying the straight-As student was killed by sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS), a heart disorder which kills 12 young people a week.

Cardiac experts said the bass could have triggered SADS if Mr Reid had underlying, yet unknown, genetic problems.

On September 27, he had gone to Koko nightclub in Camden, north London, for the party, dubbed Night Of Mayhem.

His friend Alisha Riseley told the inquest they were pushed towards the speakers. She added: ‘Tom said he felt like the bass was getting to his heart and we went to stand at the back.

He told her: ‘My heart feels funny. I think the bass is affecting me. Oh God, I feel very weird. My heart is beating so fast.

They went to see the club medic but, while Mr Reid considered whether to call an ambulance, he collapsed. ‘He suddenly leant to the side and keeled over as though he fainted,’ Ms Riseley told St Pancras coroner Dr Andrew Reid.

Paramedics tried to restart his heart but within two hours he was declared dead in hospital.

Dr Reid said: ‘I hope some lessons may be learnt from his tragic death.’

Ellen Mason, senior cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said: ‘Some genetic conditions that cause SADS can be triggered by stress or noise. He was suddenly exposed to a lot of loud noise and it’s highly possible that this caused the attack.’
This is SAD[S]. I've been in places where the bass has made my ticker feel a bit weird before, a full silver back gorilla type chest thuddering. Thankfully I have retreated a bit before this sort of thing happened.

More info on the condition here - http://www.sads.org.uk/about_sads.htm
Ali

Re: 19 year old killed in club by BASS

Post by Ali »

hmmm... surely everyone in the room would have dropped dead if said BASS was too loud!

guy must have had a dodgy ticker in the first place....

i hope if i die due to bass its not while were out on a hire out with the listening to some gawdd awfull cheese!!

would have to have "death by bass" on the tombstone...
lew
Graf Kingpin

Post by lew »

Yeah this is truly odd but very believable that kid's heart was definately shoddy.
bass has nearly made me sick! hopefully it will never kill me!
Hénrí
Resident Dee-e-Jay

Post by Hénrí »

I want to be killed by bass at the ripe old age of 101, or death by suffocation vie a 19yr olds cleavage, either one will suffice.